No.3 ‘Sir Haydn’

Built-in 1878 by Hughes’ Loco & Tramway Eng. Works Ltd of Loughborough this 0-4-2ST (originally 0-4-0ST) worked on the nearby Corris Railway until the closure of that line in 1948. In 1951 it was purchased by the Talyllyn Railway (along with the other surviving Corris loco which became ‘Edward Thomas’) and was named after the line’s late owner, Sir Henry Haydn Jones. The precarious state of the track led to its being little used for the first few years, and firebox problems caused its withdrawal in 1957. It re-entered service in 1968.

Sir Haydn has recently returned from a major overhaul at the Vale of Rheidol Railway in Aberystwyth, and is proudly hauling trains up the valley.


Technical Details

MakerHughes’ Loco & Tramway Eng. Works Ltd.
Works number323
Driving wheel diameter2′ 5 1/2″
Trailing wheel diameter11″
Coupled wheelbase4′ 0″
Total wheelbase8′ 3 1/2″
Cylinder size (bore/stroke)7 1/4 x 12″
Heating surface153 sq. ft.
Working pressure160 psi
Tractive effort @ 85% BP2900 lbs
Weight9 1/4 tons
Length over buffers16′ 6 1/2″